I used to hate the part of the interview where we reached the end, and the interviewer asked "And do you have any questions for me?" I vaguely knew I should be asking an intelligent question, but also knew that while they had talked about the company and job at length, I really didn’t have any – until I got home or mulled about the role in the following days before I heard anything. Now I help candidates prepare for that famous last question of the interview. Many have said that it helped turn the interview in their favour as well as gave them a better picture of whether or not they actually wanted to work there!
Heading to an interview soon? Here are a few questions to consider asking:
- How has the position become vacant?
- How will my performance be assessed?
- What are the key challenges within this role?
- What can you tell me about employee development?
- What skills are most needed to progress?
- How long does it take the average employee to progress?
- What are the longer term opportunities?
- What do you like best about working here?